18 Temmuz 2011 Pazartesi

The Ballad of Marxist Criticism (to the tune of "Say Something Stupid Like I Love You")

 
The day I found Dick Hoggart was a populist reformist
                                             sentimentalist
Nostalgic petty-bourgeois social democrat subjectivist
                                            empiricist
I saw the light of day, I turned to Ray, my structure 
                         of feeling it was born anew
Until I went and spoiled it all by writing something
                               stupid in New Left Review
 
Well then I read some Lukács that was fine
                                     I toed the line about totality
And since I was a prole it stirred my soul to know
                                 my consciousness could set men free
I was ignorant of Scott but who was not it didn't
                             matter Georgy was my man
That dirty-low-down formalistic Stalinist historicist
                                          Hegelian

 Well things were getting schlecht I turned to Brecht
                            and Piscator and Walter Benjamin
Productive forces shock verfremdung contradiction,
                                baby it was just my scene
Though Benjamin was swell well what the hell
                          who could admire as his main theorist
An adjacentist eclectic individualist technologistic humanist?
You may talk of Adorno but I don't know it's
                       pretty tortuous and gloomy stuff
And Jameson is fine but to imbibe it after wine
                       just leaves you feeling rough  

Well I was in a spin I couldn't win so I waxed slightly
                                            semiological
Till digging out deep structures was denounced
                                 by Macheray as metaphysical
Though Althusser is smart his views on art and ideology
                                  don't ring quite true
So hello Helen Gardner Donald Davie Denis Donoghue,
                                  I love you.

Terry Eagleton

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder